Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Idols of the Heart

Dear Julia,

I have had the habitual sin of placing people above God in my heart.  In other words, I've made a habit of trusting people, looking to people's opinions, thinking about and meditating upon people, consistently.   People have been my "functional god" for all of my Christian walk. A functional god is one you think you can control, much like a lucky rabbit's foot-just pull it out, rub it, and get what you want when you want it.  

God did not design "relationship" for this purpose.  All relationships are in place to glorify Him, not to glorify self.  If you are looking to fulfill some need that you perceive you have, in any-one or any-thing, outside of God, it will fail.  Here me again:  your search will fail.  

I praise God for not giving me what I've asked for, for 13 years. God has lovingly shown me how I've loved people repeatedly over time. I missed the boat often.  

But God. His steadfast love sustains.   

He has done a great work these last few months and this past week and into the weekend, He has given me tools to fight.  Perhaps the tools were always available and  because of my pride, my thinking I know better, God would not, could not, put those tools in place, knowing I wouldn't know how to effectively use them for His glory.  Sort of like giving a child a butcher knife.  Butcher knives can do great work, but if used incorrectly they can be deadly.  God's Word is powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword-it must be used correctly.  Use it to glorify the wrong god and it will lead to destruction.  

Julia, I love you and desire that you love you God above all others, above all else.  May you know Him and His love for you.  May you know the gospel, understand the gospel.  Out of that understanding of who He is and the gospel, HE will overflow into the lives of others.

~Love you, dear one.

No comments:

Post a Comment